The Animal Welfare Specialist (AWS) is responsible for ensuring a safe and healthful environment for the animals, staff, volunteers and visitors to our shelter. The AWS must demonstrate, mentor, and reinforce WHS values, principles and mission-driven culture.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The AWS shall perform job duties in a positive, helpful manner.
- Assist the public in all aspects of shelter programs and share information to enhance the public’s knowledge of animal welfare as well as their knowledge of WHS mission and programs.
- Clean and disinfect all species kennel and cage areas, euthanasia room, exam areas, visitation areas and other animal care areas (infirmary, isolation, etc.) according to procedures. Maintain cleanliness standards throughout the day.
- Assist in maintaining the order and cleanliness of the shelter facility and grounds. Duties include vacuuming, dusting, cleaning bathrooms, mopping, washing windows, etc. May assist with recycling of paper, glass, plastics and metals.
- Share responsibility for laundry: ensure items are washed, dried and stored appropriately.
- Train and monitor volunteers and community service workers as instructed by the supervisor or manager in your area.
- Monitor and report any animal health or behavioral concerns to the supervisor or manager.
- Administer medications to animals as assigned by the supervisor or manager.
- May be assigned opening and closing duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or manager.
None, but will engage with, train and support WHS volunteers.
CONTROLS OVER WORK:
The AWS works under the direct supervision of the Animal Welfare Supervisor. Confidentiality and professionalism must be adhered to at all times.
CONTACTS WITH OTHERS
Employee will have regular contact with other shelter employees, stakeholders and volunteers from all departments, as well as the public. All contacts require a tactful and professional demeanor.
- Work takes place mainly indoors.
- Will have regular contact with animals with varying degrees of domesticity and physical condition. (Will be expected to work around live and deceased animals.)
- Will work directly with animal wastes, kennel and cage cleaners and disinfectants, soiled kennels and cages, animal bedding and dishes.
- May be exposed to heights, such as step stools or ladders.
- Must employ basic safety standards at all times. Will have access to, and be required to use, protective equipment such as boots, gloves, protective eye and ear wear, etc.
- Ability to stay standing or active during entire shift.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds repetitively.
- Work performed requires lifting, bending, stooping, twisting, pushing and other strenuous activities for extended periods of time.
- May be required to take a physical examination paid for by WHS prior to the start of work activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Must be detail-oriented and organized, have the ability to do the duties of the position and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Must be willing to work daily with cats, dogs and other animals and handle individual animals in a caring and respectful manner.
- Must understand and be able to follow established policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work cooperatively with people and communicate clearly about various situations relating to the care and treatment of animals.
- Must work in a manner that reflects a safe environment for animals, the public and other employees.
- Must be able to communicate with the public in a positive, educational manner.
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish is desirable but not required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- This is an entry level position, but prior related work experience is preferred.
- Read, write and speak clearly in English so that written and verbal instructions can be followed.
Additional requirements: A demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for animal welfare and WHS Mission; be willing to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as required by the job; and meet the physical requirements of the job.
Wage: Starting at $11.50 hour DOE. There is no relocation benefit for this position.
Schedule: Varies as needed – 7 am to 7:30 pm, may change with the changing needs of the animals.
Benefits: Paid time off provided after 90 days. Employee Assistance Program benefits available. A 401(k) retirement plan is available after one year and 1,000 hours of service.
A complete application package is required. INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. The application package will include:
- a completed WHS job application
- a cover letter explaining your interest in this position; MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT
- a résumé of your educational background and professional experience. MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT.
Mail: Willamette Humane Society
ATTN: Human Resources
PO Box 13005
Salem OR 97309
Due to the large volume of responses, WHS will contact only those candidates who are selected for interview.
Completed application materials received by human resources will be reviewed upon receipt. This position may close at any time.
All WHS employees are committed to the following mission-driven values:
- Positive Service to All
- Sharing Knowledge
- Collaborative Problem Solving
- Initiative and Innovation
- Accountability and Responsibility
- Safe Actions
Under the provisions of the Immigration and Reform Act of 1986, the successful candidate will be required to provide evidence of identity and eligibility for employment. WHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic profile or any class protected by law. WHS is a drug free/smoke free workplace. Employment will be contingent upon successfully passing a drug screen conducted at WHS expense.
Latest posts by Dee Hart (see all)
- Career Opportunity – Veterinary Assistant – Part-Time - August 14, 2018
- Career Opportunity – Animal Welfare Specialist – Part-Time - August 3, 2018
- Career Opportunity – Custodial and Facilities Specialist – Full-Time - August 1, 2018