The Willamette Humane Society (WHS) located in Salem, Oregon is looking for a qualified, self-motivated, energetic, organized, and outgoing individual with compassion for animals.
We’re a team of 60+ staff and over 700 volunteers working jointly to achieve our mission: establishing, maintaining, and enhancing the bond between companion animals and people of Marion and Polk counties.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Thrift Store Assistant (TSA) assists the public in all aspects of the retail environment and supports the Thrift Store Manager in the daily operations of the Thrift Store. The TSA must demonstrate, mentor, and reinforce Willamette Humane Society (WHS) values, principles and mission-driven culture.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs job duties in a positive, helpful manner.
- Willingly assists the public in all aspects of shelter programs, and shares information to enhance the public’s knowledge of animal welfare as well as their knowledge of WHS’s mission and programs.
- Interacts with customers, donors, staff, and volunteers in a friendly and professional manner.
- Assists in receiving and processing donations.
- Assists as necessary as a cashier.
- Follows proper cash-handling procedures.
- Assist in providing an excellent customer experience by setting up displays and merchandise, and maintaining the TS in an organized manner that is efficient, promotes sales interest and assures a safe environment.
- Provides essential janitorial duties to keep the store clean and free of hazards, to provide a safe and pleasant environment for customers, staff and volunteers.
- Adheres to safety standards and security of assets.
- Assists with donation pick-ups offsite involving lifting of heavy items.
- Completes, as needed, all tasks to open and close the store.
- Assists in the recordkeeping of store-use inventory and alerts the manager/ team lead of any concerns.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the manager.
None, but will engage with, train and support WHS volunteers.
CONTROLS OVER WORK
The TSA works under the direct supervision of the TS Manager. In the absence of the Manager the TSA will report to the TS Team Lead (TL).
CONTACTS WITH OTHERS
The TSA will have regular contact with shelter employees, customers, stakeholders, and volunteers. All contacts will require a tactful and professional demeanor to ensure WHS’s positive image and integrity throughout the community.
Sales work will require using office equipment such as cash registers, computers, and telephones. Work takes place mostly indoors. The worksite has a concrete floor. May be exposed to heights, such as stepstools or ladders. There may be exposure to inclement weather while receiving donations or assisting customers with a carry-out.
Must be able to lift at least 35 pounds on a regular basis and be able to stand, and/or walk for an entire shift and work in a fast-paced environment. Work performed requires lifting, bending, stooping, twisting, pushing and other strenuous activities. May be required to take a physical examination paid for by WHS prior to the start of work activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY
- Must be able to work a variety of retail shifts and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to read, write, complete basic math skills and speak clearly in English so that written and verbal instructions can be followed.
- Must have demonstrated excellent communication, organization, and customer service skills.
- Must support WHS policies and position statements regarding animal welfare subjects.
- Bilingual English-Spanish skills are a plus.
- Be neat in appearance, exercise sound judgment, and maintain professional composure with the public, staff and volunteers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school graduate or educational equivalency required.
- Previous experience working in a retail environment and with volunteers preferred.
- Previous experience in sales or marketing may take the place of retail experience.
Additional requirements: Must have a demonstrated interest in, and enthusiasm for, animal welfare and WHS mission; be willing to work weekends, evenings and holidays as required by the job; have a valid Oregon driver’s license and be insurable by WHS insurer; and meet the physical requirements of the job.
Salary: Position begins at $11.50 per hour. There is no relocation benefit for this position.
Schedule: Varies; approximately 16 hours per week.
Benefits: Paid time off provided after 90 days. A 401(k) retirement plan is available after one year of service.
A complete application package is required. INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. The application package will include:
- a completed WHS job application
- a cover letter explaining your interest in this position; MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT
- a résumé of your educational background and professional experience. MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT.
Mail: Willamette Humane Society
ATTN: Human Resources
PO Box 13005
Salem OR 97309
Due to the large volume of responses, WHS will contact only those candidates who are selected for interview.
Completed application materials received by human resources will be reviewed upon receipt. This position may close at any time.
All WHS employees are committed to the following mission-driven values:
- Positive Service to All
- Sharing Knowledge
- Collaborative Problem Solving
- Initiative and Innovation
- Accountability and Responsibility
- Safe Actions
Under the provisions of the Immigration and Reform Act of 1986, the successful candidate will be required to provide evidence of identity and eligibility for employment. WHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, nation.
Latest posts by Dee Hart (see all)
- Career Opportunity — Human Resources Generalist — Full-time - November 13, 2018
- Career Opportunity — Volunteer Coordinator — Part-time - November 1, 2018
- Career Opportunity — Custodial and Facilities Specialist — Full-time - October 24, 2018