The Willamette Humane Society (WHS) located in Salem, Oregon is looking for a qualified, self-motivated, energetic, organized, and outgoing individual with compassion for animals.
We’re a team of 60+ staff and over 700 volunteers working jointly to achieve our mission: establishing, maintaining, and enhancing the bond between companion animals and people of Marion and Polk counties.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Thrift Store (TS) Team Lead (TL) assists the TS Manager in the day-to-day operations of the TS. The TL must demonstrate, mentor, and reinforce Willamette Humane Society (WHS) values, principles and mission-driven culture.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform job duties in a positive, helpful manner.
- Willingly assist public in all aspects of WHS programs. Share information to enhance the public’s knowledge of animal welfare as well as knowledge of WHS mission and programs.
- Interacts with customers, donors, staff, and volunteers in a friendly and professional manner.
- In the absence of the TS Manager acts as the manager on duty. The TL will maintain store standards concerning the paid and volunteer staff and ensure the proper function of the TS by personally serving the customers, taking donations, handling the cash register, and/or coordinating the proper staffing for those functions.
- Assist the TS manager in resolving staffing issues, customer service problems, or operational disputes that may arise; independently resolve situations in the manager’s absence.
- Assist the TS Manager in creating and maintaining a staffing schedule to meet the needs of the store. Alert the TS manager to any staffing shortfalls.
- Assist with training volunteers and staff to adequately staff the TS.
- Assist the TS Manager in creating, supporting and upholding established procedures and ensuring staff and volunteers comply with them.
- Assist in receiving and processing donations.
- Assist as necessary as a cashier.
- Follows proper cash-handling procedures.
- Assist in providing an excellent customer experience by setting up displays and merchandise, and maintaining the TS in an organized manner that is efficient, promotes sales interest and assures a safe environment.
- Provides essential janitorial duties to keep the store clean and free of hazards, to provide a safe and pleasant environment for customers, staff and volunteers.
- Adheres to safety standards and security of assets.
- Assists with donation pick-ups offsite involving lifting of heavy items.
- Completes, as needed, all tasks to open and close the store.
- Assist in recordkeeping and ordering of store-use inventory and alert Manager of any concerns.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the TS Manager and/or the Finance and Business Operations Director (FBOD).
None, but in the absence of the TS Manager, the TL will direct activities of staff. The TL will engage with, train and support WHS volunteers.
CONTROLS OVER WORK
The TL works under the general direction of the TS Manager. In the absence of the TS Manager the TL reports to the FBOD.
CONTACTS WITH OTHERS
The TL will have regular, ongoing contact with other shelter staff from all departments, members of the public, vendors, and volunteers. Contacts with others will require tactful exchanges and a positive, professional demeanor. Contact and communication is carried out through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions.
Sales work will require using office equipment such as cash registers, computers, and telephones. Work takes place mostly indoors. The worksite has a concrete floor. May be exposed to heights, such as step stools or ladders. There may be exposure to inclement weather while receiving donations or assisting customers with a carry-out.
Must be able to lift at least 35 pounds on a regular basis and be able to stand, and/or walk for an entire shift and work in a fast-paced environment. Work performed requires lifting, bending, stooping, twisting, pushing and other strenuous activities. May be required to take a physical examination paid for by WHS prior to the start of work activities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be able to work a variety of retail shifts and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to read, write, complete basic math skills and speak clearly in English so that written and verbal instructions can be followed.
- Must have demonstrated excellent communication, organization, and customer service skills.
- Must support WHS policies and position statements regarding animal welfare subjects.
- Bilingual English-Spanish skills are a plus.
- Be neat in appearance, exercise sound judgment, and maintain professional composure with the public, staff and volunteers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Previous experience working in a retail environment and with volunteers preferred.
- Previous experience in sales or marketing may take the place of retail store experience.
Additional requirements: Must have a demonstrated interest in, and enthusiasm for, animal welfare and WHS mission; be willing to work weekends, evenings and holidays as required by the job; and meet the physical requirements of the job.
Salary: Position begins at $12.00 per hour. There is no relocation benefit for this position.
Schedule: Varies; approximately 28 hours per week. Schedule is subject to change according to the needs of the store.
Benefits: Paid time off provided after 90 days. A 401(k) retirement plan is available after one year of service.
A complete application package is required. INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. The application package will include:
- a completed WHS job application
- a cover letter explaining your interest in this position; MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT
- a résumé of your educational background and professional experience. MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT.
Mail: Willamette Humane Society
ATTN: Human Resources
PO Box 13005
Salem OR 97309
Due to the large volume of responses, WHS will contact only those candidates who are selected for interview.
Completed application materials received by human resources will be reviewed upon receipt. This position may close at any time.
All WHS employees are committed to the following mission-driven values:
- Positive Service to All
- Sharing Knowledge
- Collaborative Problem Solving
- Initiative and Innovation
- Accountability and Responsibility
- Safe Actions
Under the provisions of the Immigration and Reform Act of 1986, the successful candidate will be required to provide evidence of identity and eligibility for employment. WHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, nation.
Latest posts by Dee Hart (see all)
- Career Opportunity — Human Resources Generalist — Full-time - November 13, 2018
- Career Opportunity — Volunteer Coordinator — Part-time - November 1, 2018
- Career Opportunity — Custodial and Facilities Specialist — Full-time - October 24, 2018