Foster with OHS Salem Campus
Oregon Humane Society’s Foster Program plays a vital role in saving lives. Foster volunteers provide a temporary home and care for animals for a variety of reasons. You can help pets who need time to grow, require assistance in recovering from injury or illness, or need behavior assessments prior to being available for adoption.
This community-based volunteer program helps alleviate stress on the shelter’s capacity, staff, and resources during critical times in each animal’s life. Volunteers help provide necessary stress relief for animals while enjoying a community of ongoing learning opportunities with fellow animal lovers.
Throughout the year, we have foster opportunities to fit a variety of lifestyles and availability. Commitments vary depending on the animal’s needs, ranging from a few nights to several weeks. OHS is proud to support volunteers through this journey, including training and resources. Foster volunteers must be over 18 years of age and complete all foster volunteer training and paperwork. After training, Foster Volunteers must commit to accepting an available foster animal during the next year.
Foster Fast Facts
- Typically, animals are in foster homes for two to eight weeks
- Volunteering in the Foster Program is a win-win! Enjoy helping animals, without a lifetime commitment
- Join an animal-loving community that offers lots of options for learning and connecting with others
- OHS provides all food and care supplies for all foster animals, Foster Volunteers do not need to purchase their own supplies
- OHS provides all medical care for all foster animals and provides ongoing care support to volunteers
- Foster Mentors are available to advise with all things fostering
- Foster Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older, and may have youth present in the home, caring for a foster pet can be a great family activity!
- Foster Volunteers may already have other animals in the home.
- Foster Volunteers must be 18 years or older. Youth may be present in the home and even participate in daily activities. Caring for a foster pet can be a great family activity!
Join the Team!
Thank you for your interest. Please complete the Foster Application below.
Contact the Foster Program email at email@example.com and we will be happy to help.