Foster with Willamette Humane Society
Willamette Humane Society’s Foster Program plays a vital role in saving lives. Foster Volunteers provide a temporary home and care for animals for a variety of reasons. From needing time to grow, to recovering from injury or illness, to special behavioral training prior to being put up for adoption, Foster Volunteers do it all!
This community-based volunteer program helps alleviate stress on the shelter’s capacity, staff, and resources during critical times in each animal’s life. Volunteers help provide necessary stress relief for animals, while enjoying a community of on-going learning opportunities with fellow animal lovers.
Fostering is a big commitment, one that helps save lives and builds lasting memories. On average, a foster animal spends two to eight weeks with a Foster Volunteer. WHS is proud to support volunteers through this journey, including training and resources. Foster volunteers must be over 18 years of age and complete all foster volunteer training and paperwork. After training, Foster Volunteers must commit to accepting an available foster animal during the next year.
Foster Fast Facts
- Typically, animals are in foster homes for two to eight weeks
- Volunteering in the Foster Program is a win-win! Enjoy helping animals, without a lifetime commitment
- Join an animal-loving community that offers lots of options for learning and connecting with others
- WHS provides all food and care supplies for all foster animals, Foster Volunteers do not need to purchase their own supplies
- WHS provides all medical care for all foster animals, and provides on-going care support to volunteers
- Foster Mentors are available to advise with all things fostering
- Foster Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older, and may have youth present in the home, caring for a foster pet can be a great family activity!
- Foster Volunteers may already have other animals in the home.
- Foster Volunteers must be 18 years or older. Youth may be present in the home and even participate in daily activities. Caring for a foster pet can be a great family activity!
Sign up today!
We are currently recruiting foster volunteers. If you are interested please complete an application via the link below. Orientation will be on September 25th, via Zoom. More information will be provided after your application has been received.
Contact the Foster Program email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.