Thank you for your patience! We are working hard to return all phone calls and inquiries. It’s a busy day here at the shelter and we want to make the weekend as pleasant as possible for pets and people.
Do you have a Valentine yet? This weekend, we are emptying the kennels and filling up hearts during Willamette Humane Society’s biggest adoption event. Join us on February 11 and 12, 2017 for Full Hearts, Empty Kennels! It’s the perfect time to meet your new sweetheart.
During the weekend-long event, adoption fees for both cats and dogs of any age will be waived. You can also join us for raffle prizes, pet food and treat samples from NutriSource, and two free workshops for pet owners:
- Disaster Preparedness for Your Pets with Terri Ellen of Nature’s Pet Market, scheduled for Saturday, February 11 and Sunday, February 12 from 3:00-3:30 p.m. Attendees will learn how to incorporate pets into family emergency preparedness planning and put together a pet-friendly disaster.
- Forever Home: Supporting Your Newly Adopted Pet with Terri Sides, RN, scheduled for Saturday, February 11 and Sunday, February 12 from 2:00-2:30 p.m. The workshop will take new adoptions step-by-step through harmoniously integrating a new pet into the household and establishing a loving bond.
Full Hearts, Empty Kennels is all about connecting animals in need with adoptive families, as well as raise awareness of pet adoption in the local Salem-Keizer community. Come meet your new best friend this weekend!
Questions About the Event
Why a waived-fee adoption event?
Great question! Full Hearts, Empty Kennels aims to connect animals in need with adoptive families, as well as raise awareness of pet adoption in the local community. According to an ongoing annual survey by Maddie’s Fund, the vast majority of animals adopted without a fee remained in the home, and in fact, adopters actually reported a higher attachment to the pet. It’s about making homes accessible to an animal who needs a second chance. These adopters are helping save a life—whether or not an adoption fee is paid.
How do you make sure pets go to good homes during waived fee adoption events?
Adopting families will be required to complete Willamette Humane Society’s standard adoption application and screening requirements this weekend. Our adoption requirements do not change. We encourage the entire family to come along to meet the adoptive pet, and will still require meet-and-greets with adoptive dogs and any dogs already in the household.
Do you expect big crowds this weekend?
The shelter does anticipate higher traffic than most weekends. We’ll have additional staff and volunteers at the shelter all weekend to answer questions, facilitate meet-and-greets, and guide new pet parents through the adoption process.
What are your hours this weekend?
Willamette Humane Society is open Saturday, February 11 and Sunday, February 12 from 12 to 6 p.m.
Can I put a hold on an animal?
We will not be accepting holds on animals to be placed prior to the event. Holds during the weekend can be placed on a case-by-base basis. The shelter will be open and facilitating adoptions as usual on Thursday and Friday. But you are encouraged to come visit the adoptable pets before the event starts!
Will shelter services be impacted this weekend?
Due to the high value of people and pets visiting the shelter this weekend, we will not be scheduling surrender appointments unless it is an emergency. Please give our Customer Service Team a call at 503-585-5900 for further assistance.
How was this event possible?
Adoption fees are a primary source of funding for essential shelter programs and animal care. We are incredibly grateful to the generous donors underwriting the adoption fees to make this event possible. These donors including the Barbara Earle Trust, Katherine Hager, Paul and Carol Manka, Pamela Wood, and Bonaventure Gibson Creek in honor of Donna Trivet.
Latest posts by Callie Gisler (see all)
- Upcoming WHS Spay and Neuter Clinic Holiday Closures - October 20, 2017
- Willamette Humane Society to Host Local “Subaru Loves Pets” Waived-Fee Adoption Event - September 27, 2017
- Join us for our “Subaru Loves Pets” Adoption Event on Oct. 1 at Capitol Subaru! - September 27, 2017