- What personally identifiable information of yours is collected through the Site;
- Who collects such information;
- How such information is used;
- With whom your information may be shared;
- What choices you have regarding collection, use and distribution of your information;
- What kind of security procedures are in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of the information under our control;
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in your information.
1. Online Privacy and Security
- Information we collect. We collect information to provide better services to all of our Constituents, Customers, and Community. The primary ways WHS collects data are: Direct Asks, Device Information, Inference, and third-party partners.
- How we use the information we collect. WHS uses this information to provide, improve, and develop products and services to our constituents, customers, and community. WHS uses this information to remove services that may no longer be viable, relevant, or in the best balance of resources. WHS also uses this information to communicate with you, our constituents, customers, and community. If at any time you wish to change your communication preferences, please let WHS know through our website, WHS4pets.org, calling WHS at 503-585-5900, or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information from a direct ask. We may collect information from a direct ask for information; this is typically done via filling out a form. Some examples of direct ask information we may collect include: email, name, address, pets, family, and friends.
- Information from devices(s). We may collect information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices where our services are utilized. Some examples of device information we may collect include operating system, hardware versions and settings, software versions and settings, device(s) locations, geographic locations, network, IP address.
- Information from inference. We may collect information as a conclusion reached on the basis of other collected data. Some examples of inference data include usage pattern, facial detection, and product/offerings propensities.
- Information from third-party partners. We receive information about you and your activities that is not only collected while at whs4pets.org, but also collected, aggregated, and/or distributed by third-party partners. This information could be about your personal information, experiences, and/or interactions with the third-party or WHS4pets.org. The majority of information is provided by, but not limited to, services offered by Google, YouTube, and Facebook.
- Cookies and similar technologies. We use various technologies to collect and store information when you utilize a service or site from WHS. This may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser, actions, or device(s).
- Links to other sites. WHS’s website provides links to other websites as a resource. Once you leave to visit a new site, you are subject to their privacy policies. WHS has no control over and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party websites or services. WHS might earn a commission from any purchases you make from third-party websites through affiliate links or through other advertising opportunities.
- Collaborative, combined, and inference data. WHS may create data sets from collaborative, combined, or inference data. WHS will make reasonable efforts to reduce or remove data that may provide the possibility of exposing information provided. WHS will make reasonable efforts to balance the integrity of the data set with the needs and wants of the submitting source. Each instance will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Responsibilities of employees, management, and volunteers. Employees and volunteers who have access to printed documentation and one or more electronic databases used by WHS to track and manage animal care, customer service, volunteers, WHS finances, and donors will sign an agreement acknowledging their responsibility to protect the privacy and security of such information as outlined in this policy.
2. Customer Privacy
- Customers using WHS services. We must collect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) for many of our transactions including but not limited to employment applications, volunteer service, animal intake, and adoptions. Depending on the interaction, the personal information collected can include name, address, telephone, email, date of birth, driver’s license number, and more.
- Third-party service providers. It is our commitment to you that customer and constituent records are only disclosed to reputable third-party service providers necessary to conduct business. Most of our animal care records and attached personal information are maintained in a cloud-based data management system known as Pet Point, owned by Pethealth Inc. Most of our volunteer records are maintained in a cloud-based data management system known as Volgistics.
- Public requests for personal information. We consider the transactions you make with us in surrendering or adopting a pet to be private. Lost and found pet reports will be limited to cross streets, 3 point precision GPS coordinates, an address, or contact information, and can be restricted if requested.
- Credit/Debit card transactions. In-person transactions paid with a credit or debit card are handled the same way as an online transaction. WHS uses payment gateways that only comply with Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance standards meaning these companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes. WHS does not have the ability to view, edit, or otherwise transfer your credit card information once the card processor records your transaction.
- Complying with the judicial or legal system. Though WHS makes every effort to preserve constituent privacy, we may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order, or legal process served on our organization.
- Disclaimer. Any information posted on WHS’s website is for general information purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, medical opinion, diagnosis, or treatment. Any information provided is not a substitute for veterinary medical attention. See your licensed veterinary health-care professional for your pet’s medical advice and treatment.
3. Donor Privacy & Security
- The privacy of our donors is of the utmost importance. Willamette Humane Society will never share or sell a donor’s personal information with anyone without expressed consent, nor will WHS send donor mailings or communications of behalf of other organizations, businesses, or community partners.
- Donor and information usage disclosure. The following information will be communicated to all new donors at the time of their first gift and a reminder is communicated each year, and is posted electronically for the public: “When you support WHS you are supporting an independent, nonprofit organization. We are not affiliated with any other animal welfare group nor do we receive support from other animal welfare groups unless that support comes as a part of a competitive grant. We also receive no tax revenue from state, county, or city entities. Every dollar raised comes through earned revenue (program fees and retail sales) and donations, bequests, and special events. Contributions from individuals, corporations, and foundations provide nearly 75 percent of our annual operating expenses. This strong support results in lifesaving programs for dogs and cats of Marion and Polk Counties.“
- How we use/store donor information. We use personal donor information to acknowledge gifts and to engage further on the mission. WHS does not collect information for commercial marketing and does not sell its donor list. We reserve the right to publish a list of contributors of time and money in our annual report and other publications. When using any third-party service provider, donor information is only used for purposes related to donations. New donors are automatically set up to receive all communications. These selections can be turned off or tailored by contacting our development department at email@example.com or 503-585-5900 ext. 324.
- We will only share your specific donation information with your permission. At any time you may request your donation recognition be flagged as “anonymous.”
- Online donations. WHS makes every effort to protect your online donation/order information. WHS uses payment gateways that can comply with Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance standards meaning these companies do not retain, share, store, or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes. WHS does not have the ability to view your credit card number once you submit your information through the website.
- Mail or in-person donations. We also do everything in our power to protect donor information off-line. In-Kind gifts, checks, cash, and credit card processing done by mail or in-person are afforded the same privacy and confidentiality when processed manually as when processed online. All donation information is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally sensitive information. All employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. Sensitive data is safely secured and shredded when complete. All in-person donations are provided with the option of a receipt at the time of donation.
- How WHS communicates donor privacy. Our organization’s Privacy and Security Policy resides on the WHS Website at whs4pets.org/privacy-policy.
For any questions about our policy, please contact us by phone at 503-585-5900 ext. 324 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can also be reached via mail at PO Box 13005, Salem, OR 97309.
This policy was last updated on March 29, 2021.