When it comes to reading, practice makes perfect. But as many parents know, getting kids to love reading isn’t always easy.
Our newest program for kids, Shelter Storytime, just might do the trick. We’re encouraging kids age 5 to 11 to come read to shelter dogs and cats.
Animals make exceptional reading coaches. They never judge (especially since they can’t read themselves). And many of our shelter pets love the soothing sound of someone reading to them. It eases the sometimes stressful environment of the shelter, and that could help these sweet creatures connect with the perfect family.
Some details you’ll need to know:
- Shelter Storytime sessions last for up to an hour.
- Reading spots will be available every weekend, so they won’t interfere with school.
- Books, treats for the animals, and blankets are provided, but families are welcome to bring their own blankets and books.
- Pajamas are encouraged!
- Cost for the first visit is $5, but every visit after is free.
- Kids also can win prizes for completing multiple reading sessions.
This program is sponsored in part by a grant from Athletes for Animals. Register here: https://whs4pets.org/youth-programs/