Animal Abuse & Neglect

Are there any resources for unwanted or neglected horses?

If you suspect criminal neglect or abuse of a horse, please contact your local law enforcement.

One prominent local resource for horses and farm animals is Lighthouse Farm Sanctuary in Scio, OR.

Do you offer pet food assistance?

Willamette Humane Society contributes the majority of its donated pet food to Meals on Wheels of America, who distributes the food to needy individuals through their home delivery program. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide pet food to individuals who visit the shelter, but you may be able to receive pet food through the following agencies.  Please call for details about availability and pick up times.



Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency (ARCHES)

  • 1164 Madison St NE, Salem, OR 97301
  • Telephone: 503-399-9080
  • Fax: 503-399-9118
  • Cherriot’s Bus Lines #3, #17, and #20
  • Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm




Salvation Army

Salvation Army Salem

  • 1977 Front St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
  • Telephone: (503) 585-6688
  • Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 am – 12 pm, 1 pm – 4 pm



Pongo Fund

The Pongo Fund (Portland)

  • 3632 SE 20th Avenue, Portland, OR 97202
  • Telephone: 503-939-7555


FIDO Dog Food Bank (Oregon City)

CAT Adoption Team (Sherwood)

Is it legal to tether or chain a dog?

On January 1, 2014, Oregon’s tethering law (HB2783) went into effect.

The Anti-tethering law limits tethering to

  • 10 hrs in a 24 hr period when a dog is tethered to a stationary object.
  • 15 hrs in a 24 hr period when the dog is tethered to a running line, zip line, trolley, or pulley system.

The law also outlaws certain types of choke collars.

Unlawful tethering is a Class B violation.

Click here to read the full text of the tethering law.

If I witness animal abuse or neglect, what should I do?

Abused and Abandoned
If you believe an animal is being physically abused, has been abandoned within the confines of a residence, or is in immediate danger, you should contact your local law enforcement agency immediately.

Read more about Oregon Animal Cruelty Laws

Read about Oregon’s New Tethering Law

Under Oregon law, animal caregivers must meet what’s known as Minimum Care Standards, which means care sufficient to preserve the health and well-being of the animal. Essentially, it means animals must be provided with potable water, food, shelter (domestic animals only), a clean environment, and proper veterinary care.

If you believe minimum care standards are not being met, you should contact your local law enforcement agency. Law enforcement may decide to remove or seize the animal and may place him or her in protective custody with Willamette Humane or another appropriate rescue organization.

  • Salem Police Department – (503) 588-6123
  • Dallas Police Department – (503) 831-3516
  • Keizer Police Department – (503) 390-3713
  • Marion County Sheriff’s Office:  503-588-5032
  • Polk County Sheriff’s Office:  503-623-9251